May 10th
My train got in from Luxor at about 9:00 and I had a full day already planned. My last full day in Egypt and still so much I wanted to see and do. I had already accepted the fact that there is no way I would ever be able to do all that I have wanted to do unless I stayed here for over a month. I guess it is just an excuse to come back later. When I got off the train I ran to the nearest metro station and I headed south into "Old Cairo." You can imagine what old Cairo is like, well...it is actually like most of the other parts of the City. Dirt and crowded. What I had come to Old Cairo to see was actually the Coptic Museum and monasteries that are there. Some of the earliest Christian relics are from Egypt and it was interesting to see how Early Christian practices and cult icons evolved from Egyptian and Roman pagan practices. I spent almost all of the Morning there. Very cool experience.
After I was done with Coptic Cairo I started what I called my Mosque March. Basically I had mapped out 14 of the Oldest Mosques in Cairo, in the world for that matter, and planned to walk to as many of them as I could. Well, I started out kinda later and it took a lot longer to walk to the Mosques than I had originally planned so my march turned out to b e more of a walk. I only got to the 4 oldest ones before all the rest were closed for visitors.
I was beat anyway. So I basically took a cab to an internet place, sent you all some pictures, then got a bite to eat. At around 11:30 I got a cab to the airport and said goodbye to Egypt for who knows how long.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
What pictures? I want to see these said pictures! :) Glad your enjoying everything. I'm super jealous!
Liz, the slideshows....click on 'older posts' and you'll see them. they were posted 3 days ago.
Post a Comment